TYLER, Texas (KLTV) — This is a sweet, easy-to-make breakfast treat. It is perfect for birthdays, Mother’s Day or Father’s Day breakfasts, in particular.
1 sheet of puff pastry, thawed but kept cool. (I bought a Pepperidge Farms puff pastry in the freezer case near the pie crusts)
1/4 cup cream cheese at room temperature
1 heaping tablespoon of strawberry jam
1 to 1 1/2 cups strawberries, thinly sliced
1. Heat the oven to 400 degrees. Line a baking sheet with parchment paper.
2. Remove a sheet of puff pastry from its sleeve. Unfold on parchment paper. It is already folded in three. Cut along the folds, then cut each third in half. You will have six rectangles about the size of a pop pie.
3. Poke small holes in the dough with a fork or the tip of a knife. Then, with the tip of a knife, make a picture frame border all the way around the rectangle. Leave about 1/2 inch border and make sure you don’t cut the dough completely.
4. In a small bowl, combine cream cheese and jam. Use a small whisk to mix really well. Then, place a generous dollop of filling in the center of each pastry. Spread it with the back of a spoon, leaving the border of the picture frame bare.
5. Place a single layer of sliced strawberries over the filling. Sprinkle each sheet with a generous pinch of sugar.
6. Bake for 10 to 15 minutes, or until edges are puffed and beginning to brown. Sprinkle with powdered sugar, if desired, before serving.
Copyright 2021 KLTV. All rights reserved.